The automotive industry is currently being thoroughly transformed. The digital transformation is increasingly aﬀecting all areas of our company. It is shaping and driving our evolution from an automotive company into a provider of mobility services.
DigitalLife@Daimler bundles our activities for the digitalization of the Group. In everything we do, our focus is always on people. We aim to shape the mobility of tomorrow and relate current trends and futureoriented technologies to the individual needs of our customers. This requires the entire value chain to be systematically digitalized. That includes the methods used to develop, plan and produce our vehicles as well as the ways in which we contact customers and partners. Moreover, it requires us to make our employees ﬁt for the digital world. That’s because the opportunities of digitalization can only be optimally exploited if people think and act in new ways.
By means of DigitalLife@Daimler, we are promoting digital topics at all divisions and initiating digital transformation projects. The initiative focuses on the following areas:
- #transform. In line with this maxim, we are developing a strategic mission statement for Daimler that aims to position the Group as an automotive digital leader. We are moving ahead with work on strategically relevant topics, such as artiﬁcial intelligence and data handling, which oﬀer synergy potential for the Group. We are also identifying digital trends and highlighting the importance they hold for the Group. Formats such as our DigitalLife TechTalks help to ensure that digital knowledge becomes permanently established and shared at the company.
- #ideate. We promote and exploit creativity throughout the company. Our overall process here covers everything from the generation of ideas in various formats (e.g. Open Spaces, Innovation Camps) to the selection of the best ideas in the Group-wide DigitalLife Crowd idea platform and the subsequent evaluation and implementation of these ideas. Here, various implementation channels are used to transform our ideas into reality. The DigitalLife Hub is the overarching employee community for Daimler intrapreneurs. We also operate a DigitalLife Campus which, among other things, stages hackathons at the international level. In addition, we work with partners from Group companies as well as with students to establish programs for speciﬁc activities that will become increasingly important in the future. In this manner, we bring fresh ideas into the company and attract new talents with specializations in key areas.
- #collaborate. We are changing and strengthening networked collaboration in order to enable greater agility and innovation, for example. Our global Social Intranet enables eﬀective communication and a digital exchange. Employees can use our Working Out Loud method to make their work more understandable and transparent to their colleagues. Our international “netWork” of disseminators supports employees at all of our locations. Our community management training courses increase the eﬀectiveness of collaboration, while our reverse mentoring activities promote an intergenerational exchange of ideas and the development of digital skills through the use of digital experts (mentors) who share their knowledge with experienced managers (mentees).
- #change. We are setting impulses for a changed mindset at the company. We support lifelong learning as a way of preparing employees throughout the Group for the coming cultural and technological transformation. We utilize creative formats, roadshows and workshops to convey knowledge and expertise with regard to digital topics and present current applications of technology at our production locations for employees to experience and try out. Our Fail’n’Learn Nights promote a culture of learning at the company, while our DigitalLife Day inspires thousands of employees throughout the Group each year by arousing and maintaining their interest in topics related to digitalization and an open work culture. We are also pioneers when it comes to developing new international technology and digital events (e.g. Tech Open Air Berlin), presenting our Group as a leader in digitalization and establishing contact with new target groups.
Game Changer Digital Transformation. We have set up eight subprojects within our Leadership 2020 initiative for the further development of our management culture. These “Game Changers” are geared toward questioning and changing procedures and structures that range from decision-making processes and organizational structures to work methods and tools. The Game Changer “Digital Transformation” aims to optimally exploit the opportunities oﬀered by digital transformation. We want to achieve this by enabling employees and managers to actively shape the future in their respective areas of responsibility. To do so, we focus on four approaches:
- Digital Leadership. Here, we help managers to think and act “digitally” in order to promote digitalization in their areas of respon sibility. In addition to a comprehensive training program, we do this by means of our new reverse mentoring program, for example, in which digital enthusiasts (mentors) share their digital knowledge with experienced managers (mentees).
- Empowerment. To enable all employees, oﬃce staﬀ and production workers alike, to optimally network and share knowledge with one another, we are providing them with the appropriate equipment and an eﬀective digital infrastructure. In this way we promote the sharing of innovative solutions for production operations in particular.
- Cooperation. This initiative aims to create a culture of cooperation, networking and open communication. The Collaboration Tool Compass helps us achieve this goal. This tool overview supports employees in navigating through tools and is focused on the transparency of tool functions and availability.
- Acceleration. In addition, our Digital Acceleration Approach uses customized workshop concepts to push the cultural and digital transformation of the organization forward.
With regard to digitalization, also see: